Are there any sign up fees, monthly fees or minimum usage required?
How long does it take to switch to Southern California Telephone & Energy?
- This varies and is primarily based on how long your local phone company takes to process the change order. The average time is 2 weeks, but in some areas it may take as little as 2 days.
What is the process after the online order is submitted?
- Assuming that your credit card is approved, a Third Party Verification - ( TPV ) representative will call the Billing Telephone Number (BTN) and ask you a few questions to verify your line switch order. A completed TPV will allow us to perform the final line switch.
For a multi-line business or if Third Party Verification is not possible, please complete the online order form. After that, you will receive the confirmation email message from Southern California Telephone & Energy that will instruct you how to download the "Letter of Authorization". (This is in case that you have many lines to switch or just want to skip a TPV phone call).
How do I know when I'm switched to Southern California Telephone & Energy?
- You can dial 1-700-555-4141 and a recording will announce who your long distance carrier is.
Who do I contact for billing and technical questions?
- Click here to contact our customer service department.
What is a PIC freeze?
- This is when a customer makes arrangements with their local exchange carrier (local telephone company) to prevent unauthorized changing of their long distance telephone carrier (oral or written). This feature is free of charge and most of the customers don't know that they have it, which may cause the long distance order to be delayed up to several weeks. If you are unsure whether you have it or not, we strongly recommend you to contact your local phone company and check. If you do have a PIC freeze on your line, please remove it before submitting the long distance order.
Can I get a calling card?
- A calling card is included in your long distance service at no additional cost.
What are my billing options?
- At this time, Southern California Telephone & Energy has 2 payment options. You can be billed or you can create an auto-pay account by credit card. Southern California Telephone & Energy is accepting Visa, MasterCard and American Express credit cards at this time.
How about the line quality?
- Southern California Telephone & Energy only uses the nation's largest interstate carriers with complete fiber optic networks that provide crystal clear connections - actually one of the best in US.
Can I order a toll free service with Southern California Telephone & Energy?
- Yes. After your Southern California Telephone & Energy account is created you will be able to place an order for toll free service. You have the option to set up a new number or transfer an existing toll free number to your Southern California Telephone & Energy account. The monthly service charge for each toll free number is $4.95. Current state to state rates apply to all toll free service calls. Toll free service to originate and terminate in US only.
How can I add more lines to my account?
- After your Southern California Telephone & Energy account is created you can have additional lines added to your account by calling customer service at 800.840.6673
Am I protected by law from unauthorized phone line switching?
- The phone line you enter must be an existing phone line for which your name or company name appears on your phone bill. The Federal government imposes fines for knowingly trying to "Slam" or switch a phone line without proper authorization which can be up to $25,000 per line. Please be sure to enter only your own phone lines.
What is Third Party Verification?
- In the last few years there have been many cases of telephone customers having their Interstate Carrier changed without the customer's authorization. Because of these abuses, a Federal regulation was created that requires a customer to provide a written authorization or verify their desire to switch their carrier through a third party. "Third Party Verification" (TPV) is required whenever a telephone customer switches their Interstate Carrier. Southern California Telephone & Energy uses a TPV to perform our verifications. We cannot switch your lines until we receive a TPV confirmation, or a written "Letter of Authorization" (LOA) form directly from the customer.
Does Southern California Telephone & Energy reimburse for charges made by the local phone company?
- Southern California Telephone & Energy does not reimburse customers for fees charged by the local provider for switching to Southern California Telephone & Energy.
Is operator and or directory assistance available through Southern California Telephone & Energy?
- Southern California Telephone & Energy does not provide operator assistance. When dialing 0 (zero) from a registered phone number you will be connected directly to your local telephone company. Any operator assistance charges incurred will be applied by your local provider on your local phone bill. Directory assistance is reached by dialing 1+ area code+ 555+1212. The service is provided by a National Directory Assistance company. The cost of each directory assistance call is $0.95 for local and $1.99 for national which will be applied by Southern California Telephone & Energy.
If I switch to Southern California Telephone & Energy does this mean my international calls will automatically be carried by Southern California Telephone & Energy?
- Yes, unless you have other arrangements in place with your local provider. If there are any restrictions on your lines, international service will not be switched. If you are not sure of any existing arrangements, you will need to contact your local provider to confirm.
Is there a limit applied to my Southern California Telephone & Energy long distance account?
- A limit applies as follows only to your calling card usage. If you are placing only 1+ calls, no limit applies and billing is done automatically to your account at the end of the billing period.